- 400 gm arborio rice (2 cups)
- 100 gm finely grated parmesan (2/3 cup)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
For deep frying
- vegetable oil
- 75 gm plain flour, seasoned (½ cup)
- 100 gm fine dried breadcrumbs (1 cup)
Truffled Dolcelatte filling
- 100 gm Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, coarsley chopped (see note)
- 15 gm fresh black truffle, finely chopped
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, drain well, place in a large bowl and cool. Add parmesan, two-thirds of the egg, season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Spread rice mixture on tray and refrigerate until cold.
- For truffle Dolcelatte filling, place ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- To make arancini, place 1 tbsp of rice mixture in palm of hand and flatten with a spoon. Place ½ tsp of truffle Dolcelatte filling in centre of rice and gently form rice mixture around filling to create a ball. Transfer arancini to a large plate. Repeat with remaining rice mixture and filling. Makes about 24 arancini.
- Place flour, remaining egg and breadcrumbs each in separate bowls. Roll each arancini gently in flour, dip in egg, roll in breadcrumbs and place on a tray. Refrigerate until needed. Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry arancini in batches for 3-5 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately.